Youth Advocate: Outreach/Peer Recovery Specialist
SUMMARY: The Youth Advocate – Outreach/Peer Recovery Specialist provides supervision, meals and activities in the drop-in Youth Center to create and maintain an atmosphere that is safe, welcoming and engaging. The Outreach/Peer Recovery Specialist performs needs assessments and builds therapeutic relationships with youth in order to assist them to address their goals, aspirations and needs. The Outreach/Peer Recovery Specialist conducts street and community outreach to raise awareness of and connect youth to needed services.
- Must represent a cultural or ethnic minority population (i.e. African American, American Indian and/or LGBTQ)
- Two+ years problem-free recovery from substance abuse disorder required
- Two+ years of experience in youth work/advocacy or equivalent lived experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Flexible, confident, and able to maintain composure under stress
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: sexual exploitation, mental health, chemical dependency, youth homelessness issues
- Knowledge of and ability to work effectively with youth with a variety of identities, cultures, and backgrounds including ethnic/racial minorities and LGBTQ youth
To apply send cover letter and resume by 4:30 p.m. Friday, June 5, 2020:
Attn: Human Resources
102 W 1st Street
Duluth, MN 55802
Or email with subject line: Youth Advocate Position to email@example.com
Interns must be at least entering their final year of an undergraduate program in social work or human services and willing to make a commitment of at least 400 hours.
If you are interested in an internship with Life House, please contact Luke Morcomb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, sex, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, domestic partnership or marital status, age, national origin/nationality, citizenship status or disability/handicap, veteran status or any other protected classification.
Life House is a drug free work environment.